From 1 January 2015, Britain’s leading betting companies have committed to carrying prominent new responsible gambling messages on all TV advertising and other forms of advertising online and in betting shops. The messages are part of a campaign led by the Senet Group, the new independent body set up by William Hill, Ladbrokes, Coral and Paddy Power to promote responsible gambling standards and ensure that the marketing of gambling is socially responsible.
“WHEN THE FUN STOPS, STOP” will be the new message to appear on advertising carried by members of the Senet Group, to raise awareness of the potential risks of gambling and the benefits of staying in control.
Gambleaware.co.uk will feature more prominently in the new straplines, as a source of advice for those who may have a problem with gambling.
All TV advertising by Senet Group member companies will carry the prominent new message about responsible gambling and it will appear in their shop windows, in press advertisements and other forms of advertising, making this the most visible warning yet to be carried by the industry.
Later in January, the Senet Group will be launching a broader campaign to promote responsible gambling, including a major TV and radio advertising campaign.
Ron Finlay, Interim Chief Executive of the Senet Group said: “Gambling companies provide fun and entertainment for huge numbers of people. But if you’re spending more than you can afford, it can lead to stress, anger, guilt and other problems. When gambling stops feeling like fun, it’s time to call it quits”.
Marc Etches, Chief Executive of the Responsible Gambling Trust said: “We commend the Senet Group for its campaign to help gamblers stay in control of their gambling. This initiative is a new and important step in the evolution of responsible behaviour among British-based gambling businesses. We are pleased that the campaign features GambleAware, an easy to remember website that offers help to all those who need confidential advice or support with problem gambling.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Images of Senet Group member company advertising with the new responsible gambling messages are available to the media on request.
- The campaign has been created by advertising agency The Corner.
- The Senet Group is an independent body established in September 2014. It was created by four of Britain’s leading gambling companies – William Hill, Ladbrokes, Coral and Paddy Power – in response to public concerns on gambling, and gambling advertising in particular.
- An independent Standards Commissioner will chair the Group. Responsibilities will include monitoring and enforcing compliance with the commitments made by members on advertising.
- Since 1 October 2014, member companies have committed;
not to advertise free bet or free sign-up offers on TV before 9pm, mindful of children and young people watching
not to advertise gaming machines in betting shop windows
to dedicate 20% of shop window advertising to responsible gambling messages
- Membership of the Senet Group is open to any gambling operator.